Wednesday 17 December 2008

My Great Fortune!

No, I haven't won the Lottery (see the followers drop from 2,000 to 5 again). I'm just 'counting my chickens' so to speak. Let me explain:

After more than six years at Nestle and latterly as Manager of the department, I decided it was time to move on and gain some more experience. Initially I made a dreadful decision and joined the York OH team, in what I later named the 'Shoe Box Zoo' due to the appalling environment we were expected to work in. I was promised a really, autonomous role with with chance to develop and really make a name for myself. Sounded great, but the reality was very different and without going into detail, the whole thing was 'pants' (excuse the expression) and it taught me some valuable lessons. Within a few weeks I was miserable and looking for another job.

After a few months I began to get really depressed, then suddenly a job came up, working for British Oxygen Company, based at Rotherham, but being responsible for the North East sites. It looked like a real challenge, not least because it meant driving up and down motorways, something I hadn't done before. I was offered an interview which went great and I was honest about my reasons for moving on so quickly.

The rest is history, I was offered the job and not only that, I was offered more than I'd said I was willing to accept - hmmm, could it be a company that actually valued it's OH. Well, I can tell you that it was and three years down the line, I cannot begin to say how much I enjoy my job. It has been a real learning curve right from the start and without my trusted 'Tom Tom' I would probably still be lost on the M1 somewhere.

I am part of a small team, led by probably, no definitely, the best Manager I have ever had the pleasure to work for (make the cheque payable to me Margaret). I want to mention each by name as they have been like family over the last few years, despite the fact that we are spread very thinly over the UK.

Anne - my 'agony aunt', known as the 'chatter box', we have much in common as regards family life and general opinions on the world and work. Thanks for our weekly outpourings Anne.

Stephanie - A really lovely person, mum of two small children, Stephanie has hidden depths and we share our thoughts on life, both acknowledging it's spiritual aspects. Thanks for your prayers and the crafty G&Ts prior to Team Meetings, I look forward to more!

Sally - My colleague at Worsley. Sally also has hidden depths, appearing initially to be quiet, even timid, but believe me, beneath the exterior is a very accomplished OH Adviser, who takes no prisoners and I admire her forthright approach. Sally is also lots of fun, especially in strange hotels, with even stranger staff who try to take the bottle of wine away!

Nic - Always look fragile, but I know you're anything but and if a job needs doing, you're the one to ask. Thanks Nic for all your help, you've been such a breath of fresh air to our team and I think you should be my personal assistant as part of my rehab. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your wedding plans.

Margaret - I could write a chapter on my Manager alone, but I don't want to embarrass her and I do want to come back to work eventually. Suffice to say that I admire Margaret tremendously, her energy and knowledge seem boundless and I really appreciate the support and encouragement she has given me, especially now as I know how difficult it must be trying to fill the gap and keep all the plates spinning. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to work as part of your team. In the words of Arnie 'I'll be back'.