Thursday 18 December 2008

18th Dec. 2008 'Ding ding round two'

Had a really disturbed night last night, mostly due to a very dry, tickly sore throat, but also due to some anxieties about the treatment. I was dreading a delay, which could have happened if my cell count was decreased due to infection. I think there was also a part of me thinking that's it now for a week or so, back to feeling sickly, wobbly and generally unwell.

However, we were up early and off to York for 9a.m. My oncology nurse this morning was Claire, a very young, really lovely nurse who hails for Huddersfield, but now lives in York. We soaked my hand in hot water for a while so she could find a 'juicy' vein (we're sad us nurses, the strangest things make us really happy). I was more interested in the fact that they've changed the design of the cannula's so that the needle, which is withdrawn once it's in the vein, comes out like a concertina and not a rigid piece, which reduces the chance of a needle stick injury - fascinating.

A quick flush through then on with the anti-emetic and steroid solution (prickly hedgehog effect again, very strange). Epirubicin, followed by cyclophosphamide, another quick flush through and we're finished. We discussed the side effects from last time and Claire told me the steroids were the cause of my heartburn and along with my usual tablets to take home she gave me some Lansoprazole. My next treatment date is January 8th.

Straight home for a rest, well that was the plan, but the little glimmer of sunshine drew me into the garden. Initiallly I was just dead-heading, but you know how one thing leads to another and before very long I was raking leaves, clipping here, tidying there. I really enjoyed it until I suddenly realised my legs were feeling very jelly like, time to stop me thinks!

So I'm updating this from my bed having had a sleep and feeling much better, that'll teach me. I've just had some lovely Christmas cards and Graham brought me cheese and biscuits, it doesn't get much better. Oh yes, by the way, we can kiss again now and he doesn't feel like a leper, but I did draw the line at him climbing in with me this afternoon (too much information, sorry).

Later - Well spoke too soon, what a terrible evening and as for sleeping, no chance. This posting is at 4.50 a.m. Joan! I've been much worse than before which is disappointing. My head still aches and the waves of nausea are quite disturbing and followed by a cold sweat. I'm sure this will ease by tomorrow, sorry later today, when I've had my tablets. Just thought I'd try a dry biscuit and a few minutes blogging to see if it helps. Night night for now (she says hopefully).