Saturday 13 December 2008

12/13th Dec. 2008 'I hope you Dance'

The last two days have been a breath of fresh air, I've felt quite normal with only a few mouth ulcers to contend with. Last night I even had a little dancing session, only for fun, but also I'm feeling the need to keep some muscle tone. I love dancing and I'm hoping to take it up again when I feel able.

I first started dancing aged four and a half at the Jeanette Herman School of Dancing in York. I think my mum must have taken me because she used to dance and perform in pantomimes as the 'principle boy'. I really wish I had some pictures of her then, I know she was a stunning looking lady. Anyway, I joined the School only a few weeks before they performed a Christmas Show at the Theatre Royal and I remember the actual night. We were all dressed in small white tutus and we had a three pointed hat and diagonal belt both in red with big white spots. I remember being ushered onto the stage in a line.

Everyone but me seemed to know what they were doing and I just copied. At the end of our little soldier like routine, two ladies came on with some sweets or something for each dancer, but guess who didn't get any - yep, it was me and that was the last straw, I bawled and the audience made sympathetic 'awwwww' noises.

Well it didn't put me off, I continued going to Miss Herman's dance class and eventually began to take Graded Examinations. I did well too getting 'Commended' and 'Highly Commended' certificates. I can't remember when I changed Dance Schools, but at some point I started attending Isobel Dunn's Ballet School. She was very strict, but well known and respected in the York area, especially for her annual 'Dance Flash' shows. I remember one in particular when I was a cat. This required an emerald green tutu and a matching head piece with ears and whiskers. My poor Mum spent hours on her old Pfaff sewing machine and I was so proud when I wore it in the show.

I did eventually go back to Miss Herman's Classes as they were nearer. I progressed to 'points' and even took some of the smaller classes when Miss Herman was away. Sadly my parents couldn't afford to keep up my expensive hobby and despite attempts to pay for them with 'paper round' money I eventually gave up my dream of being able to go to the 'Royal Ballet School'. Also, I had grown quite tall and at that time you had to be no taller than 5'4".

I've loved dance ever since and discovering 'Belly Dance' some years ago has given me another opportunity to express my more extrovert side. I will dance again next year!