Tuesday 9 December 2008

9th Dec 2008 - Happy Birthday Louis!

Happy Birthday my Louis, it doesn't seem five minutes since you were toddling around in Swaziland. You were born at the Raleigh Fitkin Hospital in Manzini, same place the current and King and his father were born I believe. I interrupted a film Dad was watching when my waters broke and we drove up the dirt roads to the hospital.

Everything was done in slow motion there, and the fact that I was leaving a trail of fluid didn't seem to matter. 'I'm having my baby' - 'Ooooh, I see Madam, rrrrright, just wait a moment....'.

Well we were put in a small room with just a bed and several mosquito's and I just gone on with it. The Midwife was a lovely lady, she was on her own and delivering babies left, right and centre from mothers who were on trolleys in the corridor and she thought I was great because I didn't scream like them - oh yes, they could scream!

You were born with your hand over your head, which did make things a little tougher. I think it was your 'here I come' pose.

We did nearly lose you a few weeks later with a stomach bug, but thank god, you made it through and I love you very much. Happy Birthday!

As for me today, I'm doing OK after a night of heart burn, which I understand is also due to the chemotherapy. Nothing would shift it, yogurt, milk, gaviscon, warm water, you name it, I tried it. Then Graham found an article on line which talked about anti sickness tablets, so I checked my emergency sickness pills (Metoclopramide) and sure enough they can help with heart burn. It was a bit late in the evening, but eventually I did drop off to sleep.

Going to see the Grimethorpe Brass Band tonight with Pat and Mike, can't wait.