Wednesday 24 December 2008

24th Dec 2008 'Christmas Evil'

Oh dear, not what I wanted at all. A really terrible night coughing and feeling lousy, no better this morning and feeling increasingly unwell. A phone call to the oncology department and we're on our way for an emergency blood test. I am extremely lucky though as Professor Dodwell is there, so once the cannula is in place, the bloods can go straight for testing.

I feel bad because it's Christmas Eve, but my nurse reassures me that it's best not to take chances, a neutropenia (low cell count) and an infection could be life threatening. Thankfully I don't have a neutropenia, so I won't have to spend Christmas in hospital, but I do need some antibiotics to prevent any further problems.

Back home and all I can do is take the pills, cough, sleep and hope I feel better tomorrow - woopee!