Friday 23 January 2009

Frid. 23rd Jan 2009

Made a decision to go into York today and have my glasses adjusted as they keep falling off.

We went straight to the opticians and then for a quick coffee. I wanted to look for a warm woolly hat and a magazine, so we agreed to meet after 30minutes and that was long enough. As Graham is singing again tonight, we went for some lunch. Now I know I've talked alot about the food and taste side of this treatment, but I still don't feel I've adequately described the clash of the physical need and the senses, versus the brain, so I'm going to try and take you through the experience (not compulsory of course) as this is really for my future records.

1. Imagine you haven't eaten all day, your stomach is growling and feels like it's eating itself.
2. Your brain (or at least one aspect of it) is responding by conjuring up images of roast pork, spicy stir fry or fish and chips - gimme, gimme!
3. Add to this the knowledge that:
a) You know it's not going to taste anything like you're brain is telling you and,
b) Immediately it's gone, the after taste and sickly feeling will make you wish you hadn't
bothered and you need mouthwash or gum to try and clear your pallet - Plus,
c) The whole process starts again very shortly after eating.

So there's a constant battle going on and it seems pointless, but there's no escape and I'm longing to get back to normal. When I am, I think I'll become a food critic and just eat myself silly.