Tuesday 17 March 2009

Tues. 17th Mar. 2009 'Tentative steps'

Slept reasonably well although I was getting rid of fluid on a regular basis, which tends to happen every now and then, so I'm sweating profusely all night and need three or four trips to the loo. However, feeling not too bad this morning and as I promised to call Margaret (my boss), it seemed like a good time to 'bite the bullet' and log on to my work computer. I have done this before, just to clear my in box, but today I wanted to remind myself where various bits of information are and re-acquaint myself with the format.

Well, you'd think that would be easy enough wouldn't you, but the first problem I encounter is not being able to get a remote connection to the BOC site. This always freaks me out as it means a call to the IT Service desk and I'm afraid me and IT by phone are not a good combination. Also I know I will have great problems getting a 'Network connection' on my works mobile which is useless from here and many other sites I go to. In fact, after seeing 'Watchdog' last night I think BOC should be changing their provider as they're paying for phones which don't work much of the time.

I made the call and explained the problem, which happened once before. The very nice chappie in India told me it was no doubt a problem related to our Wireless connection. Now, IT expert I'm not, but this I knew wasn't correct as our connection was good and strong. But the nice chappie is adamant, until I remind him that I can access Google and other Internet sites, then he goes quiet for a while and asks me my password, which I give him. 'Try to connect again please' and this time it works. "So what was the problem" I ask, " It is because you put in the wrong password three times and then it locks you out". Hmmmm, " But I know I put in the right password and anyway it did it on my first attempt - but hey, it's working now, so thanks" (does he really think I'm that stupid, chemo or not).

I am by this time quietly seething and can feel my levels of anxiety creeping up before I've even accessed my work. No wonder people get stressed, technology is wonderful when it works, but when it doesn't it's just a pain in the 'aspect'. Anyway, mission accomplished, so I'll stop moaning now.