Saturday 28 March 2009

Sat. 28th Mar. 2009 'Day two post chemo'

Have resigned myself to doing very little for the next week. Yesterday I watched a several DVDs and listened to my audio book 'Pride & Prejudice'. I slept reasonably well again last night and only woke a couple of times with some nausea and thirst.

This morning I have shaved the little bit of hair re-growth that tends to appear around the third week of each cycle, because as soon as I've had another treatment it goes very soft and tends to rub off in patches. Actually most of it came off in the shower this morning, so I decided to give it one last tidy up so that it can now grow back nicely!

My baldness has been a source of some humour right from the start and has helped me cope with what could otherwise have been quite traumatic. I remember being asked at Christmas if I wanted some double sided tape to keep my hats on. When I went to the hospital on Thursday we went for a quick sandwich. As I don't like too much bread at the moment I took the crust off mine at which Graham reminded me 'Your hair won't curl if you don't eat your crusts'. Later that evening when Pat and Mike came for tea, we had Christmas Crackers to pull and guess what was in mine - a hair bobble!

I will be really pleased to have my eyelashes and eyebrows back too, partly so I can wear make up again and partly to keep the dust and grit out of my eyes which makes them dry and sore.

P.M - The usual side effects are beginning to kick in now. I've got no energy or the inclination to do anything and my taste buds have been well and truly zapped, so it's back to still, fizzy or hot water. I had some sweet chilli and red pepper crisps for lunch, but the after taste has been dreadful, don't know what else to try so I won't bother.