Thursday 5 March 2009

Thur. 5th Mar. 2009 'Chemotherapy No5'

(No Anne, not Mambo No 5)
Up very early this morning to find it's freezing and foggy! I didn't sleep well and combined with a fairly late night (well worth it), I'm feeling rather tired, not to mention anxious and a bit emotional. Arrived on time and didn't have to wait long before being called through.

We talked through my 'homework' sheet, which is a tick list of side effects or problems encountered and I admitted to feeling very tearful. This is apparently quite common when people reach the 4th and 5th treatment. I also mentioned a pain in my ribs on the right side which has been nagging for a few weeks. Any aches or pains become really significant and scary, but I was re-assured it was probably nothing. I will be seeing Prof. D next time, so if it's still a problem we can discuss it further.

I would say that on a scale of 1 - 10 my side effects have probably gone down from 9 to 8 as a result of the 10% reduction in the drugs. That's not much and my nurse felt it was worth altering my steroids to try and reduce the gastric discomfort and reflux I experience. So it's been suggested that I only take my steroids for two days and control any increased nausea with the Metoclopramide. I could if I want to reduce them as well, which I may do.

Finding a suitable vein is becoming difficult, even when I go for the routine bloods. The veins in my right arm are pretty shot, but they don't want to use the left arm as there's a small chance of infection to the would site. That means I have a very painful arm all the time and inserting the cannula is now very unpleasant, but thankfully brief.

The treatment went smoothly and I have a new supply of medications to keep me going (no pun intended). Oddly enough I began to feel the effects of the treatment almost immediately, which has never happened before, so I requested a light lunch at the local Garden Centre and then came home and I went to bed for an hour or so.

I'm now feeling very nauseous and a bit 'spaced out', plus I heard some really sad news just after arriving home. My lovely Niece Dawn told me recently that she was expecting another baby and I was thrilled, but unfortunately she lost it yesterday and my heart goes out to her and the family, especially after all they've done for me. I love you all very much and I know you'll bounce back.

On the upside, there is a good picture and write up in our Selby Times today re: Dawn's fundraising and the feedback from the Music Night has been so good there may well be another at the end of the year.