Thursday 12 February 2009

Thurs. 12th Feb. 2009 Chemotherapy No.4 and Roo


As usual I was really nervous on the way to the hospital, it's always daunting knowing you've got two weeks of 'crap' ahead, but also because I was having a mid treatment review. Unfortunately my anxiety was compounded by a long delay in seeing the Doctor (40 minutes). I don't mind waiting, but I thought I might miss my chemotherapy appointment. I was re-assured however that my treatment would still go ahead.

Eventually the Senior Registrar came and explained that they had been discussing my future treatment. I am apparently HER2 positive, which means I can have Herceptin, the drug you hear about in the media. He also added that this is a 'double edged sword' as being HER2 positive means that the cells have a higher than normal level of protein on their surface, which stimulates them to grow, these cells tend to grow and spread faster (not something I realised or wanted to hear). The Herceptin is given over a twelve month period (17 injections) and I can't start it until I've completed the chemotherapy.

I asked if I could be told my 'staging' but he explained that there were so many factors and variables, based on population numbers that it might not be of benefit and may even frighten me without due cause. We did discuss the subject in some detail and I was happy to take his advice on this question. Reading between the lines I have an idea what my 'stage' is, but as he said it's not worth dwelling on and I need to concentrate on the treatment and my 'armies'.

My other question was how long the cancer may have been there before it became evident to me. I was quite shocked to learn that it may have been developing for 4 - 5 yrs, which is a worry to me in view of the vertigo and other odd symptoms I've had for around that period. He didn't seem to think that I would have noticed symptoms though, so that remains a mystery.

My most positive result is the fact that I am node negative, but the fact that I have lymphovascualr permeation means cancer cells could have entered the blood stream and gone elsewhere, which I find just as worrying. However, all the treatment and surgery is designed to get rid of 'strays' and that's what makes it bearable. I was happy with the review and found the Senior Registrar very approachable and understanding (also very young and quite good looking!).

As a result of the review and the fact that I have suffered a lot of nasty side effects, the Sen.Reg. decided to reduce my drugs by 10%, which isn't much, but may prevent some of these.

Treatment itself went well and it was nice to have my daughter Roo as my 'buddy' this time. A buddy doesn't do anything, but their presence is really important and stops you dwelling on the treatment, also it helps to take some of the mystery out of what happens. My nurse was lovely as usual and I came home with a bag of various tablets to help alleviate some of the worst side effects.

We dropped Roo at York station - thanks Roo I love you lots, and drove home in the snow for my favorite meal, Graham's pork steaks - they were lovely. Onwards and upwards!!!!