Wednesday 6 May 2009

Wed. 6th May 2009

Would like to say I had a good night, but unfortunately developed griping stomach ache yesterday evening followed by extremely watery diarrhoea (sorry if you're eating) which continued till bedtime. I'm at a loss as to why this should occur and can only imagine that it's a reaction to all the surgery, drugs and general trauma. Graham was ok, so it can't have been anything we'd eaten.

This morning It's still not settled so I'll have to be careful what I eat and drink which is a real pain as that's the only thing I look forward to on a day to day basis right now. The Seroma I was warned about has built up under my arm and across my back. My MacMillan Nurse rang yesterday and she said they would drain it off for me tomorrow when I go for my follow up appointment with my Consultant.

Graham had his first glimpse of my surgery this morning, which I know was difficult for him. It's not a pretty site, but he did agree that the breast reconstruction is neater than expected, it's the very long back wound that looks (and feels) the worst. There's also a small two inch cut under my arm pit, which I now assume is where he took the circular piece of skin to replace the nipple area.

In terms of pain, that's probably the hardest thing to describe, it varies from sharp knife like pain on moving (especially around the breast), to very deep muscular pain, with some nerve involvement, especially down my left back into the lumbar region. That area has a heavy numb feeling and if I touch it even lightly it's very painful, especially near my spine.

My aim now is to get suitably recovered for the trip to Skye in three weeks. I have my appointment tomorrow and will hopefully get some idea of how things are progressing and when the Herceptin will start.