Thursday 21 May 2009

Thur. 21st May 2009 'Herceptin Treatment No1)

Thankfully my first Herceptin treatment has gone without incident. The appointment was at 9a.m. so we had to be up and off early. I confess I was worried about yet another cannula in my right hand and my fears were not unfounded. Despite a good soaking in hot water, my veins were not playing. Eventually a vein was picked and the cannula inserted, but it was obvious pretty quickly that it wasn't working (I could tell 'cos it bloody well hurt). Another hot water soaking and we decided to go for the left hand, although those veins weren't wonderful. This time it was successful and after a saline flush and a baseline BP, temp and pulse, the Herceptin infusion was started. It runs very slowly over about an hour and I was given a buzzer to call for help if I felt unwell.

The treatment room was actually very busy this morning and everyone joined in general conversation and joked about their demise. At least three people told me how great my hair looked and they all commented on my patent leather shoes which made me feel good.

Graham stayed for the first three hours and then went out for a break. Once the Herceptin had finished I was able to relax and have a sandwich, read a bit, play Nintendo etc. It was pretty boring however and by 3.30p.m. when I had my last assessment, I was really ready for home and some pain killers.

So home now and happy that I can concentrate on getting ready for Skye. There is a possibility that I will experience some flu like symptoms tomorrow, but if that's all I can cope!

Later in the Evening: I have developed increased pain again, my breast feels rock hard and about to explode and the scar on my back seems to be building fluid again. I'm in for a poor night I think.