Wednesday 20 May 2009

Wed. 20th May 2009 'Diamonds and Rust'

I haven't blogged for a few days simply because there's nothing major to report, it's been more a case of coping and discovering what I can and can't do at the moment. Typically I have felt able to do more than I should, not that this amounts to much ie: hanging out washing, changing bed covers and general house work. Unfortunately these activities have a delayed effect in relation to pain and I have discovered to my detriment that 24hrs later it feels as though someone is trying to saw me in half below my left arm and breast.

The above also occurs if I do too much bending or crouching, which I presume is because I'm working what remains of the muscle on my left back and the rigidity of this area from my shoulder blade to my hip is testimony of it's lack of flexibility.

One other rather strange effect, which I've been aware of since I returned to the ward after surgery, is the need to pass water more frequently, especially at night. I have to get up at least four times in the night and I pass a good amount of urine. Now the nurse in me is curious - I'm pretty sure it's not early Diabetes as I don't have any other symptoms. I reckon it's the inflammation and fluid lower down on my back and some pressure on the nerves near the bladder. Well that's my explanation, but I'll keep an eye on things.

So that's the 'rust', but the diamond is my new breast, which despite the remaining swelling and the patchwork circle, looks incredible. My delight with this piece of surgical brilliance makes me eager to show it off to close family, barring Michael (my brother-in-law) who goes very pale at the mere mention. The other diamond in the rust is the speed at which my hair is now growing, plus I also have some eyebrow hairs appearing. Would very much like to see some eyelashes now, but hey, patience patience!