Monday 11 May 2009

Mon. 11th May 2009 My personal 'Drainer'

Should start by saying thanks to my brother Alan and his lovely wife Tina who did 'meals on wheels' yesterday. Tina is an amazing cook and we dined on chicken stir fry, onion noodles, rice and pork, it was wonderful and we had a super day.

Sadly I slept very little last night due to the pressure of fluid which has built up around the wound on my back, so at 8.30a.m. I rang the Breast Care Unit and explained apologetically about my predicament - 'would it be possible to come in this morning and have the seroma drained', to which without hesitation came the reply 'certainly, come in at 10.30a.m. and we'll do that for you'. I know it doesn't sound much, but to have such a positive, instant reply was so refreshing and made me feel so much better.

So we arrived at the unit where Carole and Jackie drained around 100mls with a needle and syringe. So I now have, as my Son in Law Gordon put it, a 'personal drainer' as opposed to a personal trainer - ha! I also spent a few minutes chatting to them about how I feel right now and they were really supportive and understanding.

It does feel a bit easier, but I'm still getting 'breakthrough' pain despite paracetamol and diclofenac. I suppose I'll just have to be patient as it will get better in a week or so.

We picked Joe and Vickie (my son & his girlfriend) up on the way out of York. They came back with us and had some lunch. It's nice to see Joe looking happy and Vickie seems a lovely girl, lots of character and very bubbly.