Friday 29 January 2010

Frid. 29th Jan. 2010 'Gastro Man'

Slept well last night, apart from a slight headache, no Herceptin after effects. I was also very relaxed as we had friends to stay and a really lovely evening sharing memories of South Africa. I experimented with my slow cooker and the 'Persian Lamb' was great, not to mention 'Eton Mess' for afters, yummy!

This morning I went to The Nuffield Hospital in York for a consultation with the Consultant Gastroenterologist. My Colonoscopy was clear, which is a relief, but still doesn't explain the occasional bouts of griping cramp. Both he and my Oncologist still don't feel it is the Herceptin, but even if it is, it's not worth stopping it now.

He has given me the option of two medications which he says will not stop the problem, but will take the edge off an attack. One is Mebeverine (Colofac), which I know of. The other is Peppermint Oil Capsules (colpermin), which I like the sound of, although they're both fairly gentle medications.

As the Colonoscopy only looks at the large bowel, he has suggested that I should have a CT or MRI Scan, just to be absolutely sure that there isn't a problem with the small bowel, or anything in the vicinity. I'm sure there isn't, but it's nice to know I'm being taken seriously. If all is clear when I go back for my results, I will get the pills and wait with interest to see if the symptoms go away when I finish Herceptin.