Tuesday 19 January 2010

Tues. 19th Jan. 2010 'Friends indeed'



Managed finally to get together with some very good friends this week who have supported me with their love, understanding and gifts over the past eighteen months. Sadly Max couldn't make it, but Jean, Jane, Viv, Jackie & I had soup, sandwiches and yummy cakes together(courtesy of Jean). Of course we never stopped talking, laughing and generally catching up - it was exhausting!

I listened to another R4 programme yesterday. Jenni Murray (the presenter) has herself had breast cancer and she went into theatre to watch a mastectomy & reconstruction, which turned out to be exactly the same operation as mine, same technique etc. I found it quite emotional at times as she described what was happening because I could put myself on the table and had never thought about it in such detail before.

Jenni talked to the surgeons and asked how they felt prior to making such life changing surgery. It was interesting to hear the words 'ruthless but wonderful' used to describe what they do. I have nothing but admiration for my breast surgeon, he has the balance just right - professional, empathic, funny, direct. Also the end result is fantastic and as I said to my friends after a private viewing, I'm getting a reputation for 'flashing my tits' what the heck!