Sunday 3 January 2010

Sun 3rd Jan. 2010 'Happy Birthday Graham'


I didn't sleep very well last night, a lot of pain and discomfort. Nothing I couldn't cope with, but annoying. I think the bruising closest to my armpit is coming out and it's really tender.

Graham's Birthday today, and three years since my Mum died, yes, that's one way of marking a Birthday.

I've had an interesting response to my blog re: 'not wanting to sound as though I'm complaining'. I'm most grateful, especially to my daughter Roo, who not only gave me some sound comments, but also sent me an article which I think everyone with breast cancer should read - or indeed any cancer.

So many times I've wrestled with the phrasing or content of the blog, in case it should appear 'negative' or invoke a flurry of comments from concerned friends. But I've suddenly realised that it's ok to feel angry, it's ok to feel negative and it's ok to say 'Yes, I do fear the future'. Of course I don't walk around with an aura of 'doom and gloom', but I think it's time to be true to myself and to those I love.

Being positive all the time is hard work, plus it's not real and I'm sorry, but I actually don't really think it has any bearing on the final outcome. I know that's going to be quite a shocking statement to some people, but I'm willing to bet that most ladies I know who have been through the breast cancer experience, would probably agree, if only in private, that the whole 'positive, pink 'chin up' persona' is actually more exhausting than it is beneficial. Anyway, here's the link to the article for anyone who's interested.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/02/cancer-positive-thinking-barbara-ehrenreich