Friday 8 January 2010

Thurs 7th Jan 2009 'Herceptin No12'

It's been a really snowy day again and even if it wasn't my treatment day I would have worked from home. Pat & Mike came across and I made us some thick, winter soup. My nurse came at 12.30p.m. and he was grateful for a bowl of soup too.

The treatment itself went ok, but siting the cannula seems to get more painful. First attempt was especially bad and I had to ask him to stop. I suppose the fact that bruising has only just gone from my recent surgery didn't help. The only other complaint would be the temperature of the fluids, it was freezing and I found that it made my thumb joint and wrist really ache, apart from making me feel generally cold. I put on an extra jumper and used a heated wheat bag to counteract this. Obviously they would be better given at room temp, but there isn't enough time to let them warm up.

My Cancer Support Nurse rang today too and I updated her on what's been happening. During the course of the conversation I mentioned that I was still waiting for a follow up appt. to check my surgery sites. She checked and said it was this morning, but I haven't received the letter! That doesn't surprised me, there seems to be a distinct lack of communication between departments.

I think the two scar lines are healing ok, but I'm keeping an eye on the nipple flap as it's still got a build up of old blood on one side and doesn't seem to be healing as quickly as it should. That could have been checked if I'd received the appt., now I'll have to monitor it myself and see my GP if it looks infected.