Sunday 30 November 2008

Two Weeks and counting - 14th Nov, 2008

Ok, so now I know I potentially have some little cancer guys escaping to wherever takes their fancy and they could be setting up home over the next two weeks. Not much I can do, but try and fill the time doing nice things and being organised for Christmas. Fortunately I am well in front with this (sad, you may be thinking), but I love having my family and friends over. We don't spend a fortune, it's just good fun, silly gifts and good food (hopefully).

First Monday, we took Daisy May (the dog) for her first grooming to a little village called Reedness. We went into Goole while she was made beautiful on the premise of looking around and having some lunch. Not quite the experience we'd hoped, it's very run down and Tesco's was the most celubrious lunch venue we could find. Believe me, trying to spend three hours in Goole was extremely tedious. However, we went back for Daisy and were delighted at our brand new little girlie (yeah, that's sad too I know).

Tuesday and Wednesday we just chilled, Thursday I can't really remember. Friday was my pre-assessment day at the hospital. This went smoothly and gave us chance to speak to my oncology nurse and ask any appropriate questions. I asked the run of the mill stuff while having some more bloods taken, but couldn't resist asking if it was compulsory to go to Florida when you have cancer, as I don't like flying. Fortunately my nurse does have a good sense of humour and assured me it was not!

Sat. 22nd - we had our usual trip to York, where we meet up with a really good friend of ours Alan. I first met Alan while working with Christine and we became really close friends, soon arranging a joint trip to Skye (my heaven on earth). They had never been to Skye before, so we were able to introduce them to it's wild beauty. Unfortunately Chris and Alan were coping with a re-occurrence of her previously treated breast cancer and bravely facing the future, looking at ways to beat the disease and remaining positive. A more sincere, loving couple I have yet to meet and their love for each other was obvious. Unfortunately despite their best efforts, Chris lost her battle in April 2005 and last year Alan joined us in Skye again and we took Christine's ashes down to the Coral Beach, near Dunvegan, where with a few words and flower petals, we scattered them, illuminated by a fantastic ray of sunlight.

Alan has remained a good friend to us and my children. I value his advice and his words of wisdom, he doesn't trivialise or patronise and despite the still raw memories of Christine's loss, he is a real rock. He also provides me with great books - 'Dear Fatty' by Dawn French and Alan Bennett's 'The Uncommon Reader'. Thanks Alan.