Saturday 29 November 2008

Discharge and the wait for results

Discharge was delayed due to an over enthusiastic drain. I waved my room mates goodbye on Saturday morning and apart from a sweet little old lady who didn't speak, I was alone. I did get to watch 'Strictly Come Dancing' and had my very welcome visitors. Unfortunately I had one unwelcome room companion. A young girl and her boyfriend, both with an attitude and more concerned about when they could have a 'fag' than the advice and help staff were trying to give them. The young lady had a real sinus problem and kept me awake most of the night with her adenoidal snoring. Fortunately she persuaded the Doctors to let her go home on Sunday and come back Monday for further tests. Sunday came, hopes were raised and dashed. MJ said another night just to be sure, oh okay then, who am I to argue.

Monday morning MJ finally visits in his usual cheery, whirlwind style. He says I can go home, but his comment on my surgery leave me with doubts - it had been 'technically successful' he said, but he couldn't guarantee that they had managed to get clear margins and he had removed four or five nodes for examination. I now had ten days to wait for the results.

Graham picked me up around 11a.m. and I was grateful to be back in my own surroundings and eat some delicious Graham cooked food.

I was overwhelmed by the cards, gifts and flowers which arrived constantly over the following week from ex-colleagues, family, friends, not to mention the visits and words of support. Thanks to everyone, you know who you are.