Friday 28 November 2008

The beginning - October 2008

This is my way of recording my journey following a diagnosis of breast cancer on 8th October 2008. It is written with love and thanks to all my family and friends as well as those health professionals whose support has been nothing short of brilliant.

My diagnosis came as a huge shock, not least because I am myself a health professional and much of my time is spent advising and supporting employees through very similar situations. I did find a change in my left breast sometime around May/June, but it wasn't defined and I put it down to hormonal changes. If I am honest, by July I did have some anxieties about the thickening changes and I carried these round with me and on our holiday to Cornwall in August, by which time I was quite worried. On our return I made an appointment and saw my local GP. She was lovely and although she didn't feel it was anything to worry about, she referred me to York's 'One Stop Breast Clinic'