Sunday 30 November 2008

Chemotherapy Number One - 27th Nov. 2008

The day has arrived, i am nervous but also relieved. My appointment is 13.40p.m. but I decide to go earlier so I can look at some hats and scarves provided on a voluntary basis. I've been told that my hair will be falling out in two weeks, so I'm going to need something to keep my head and ears warm. To be honest, they're not really me, but I chose two or three and made a donation. I think I'm more of a statement sort of person, so I'll probably experiment at home. Ruth and Gordon confirmed my reservations, Gordon said I may as well wear a big sign saying 'cancer patient', so that kind of made my mind up.

I was made comfortable in the unit while my nurse prepared the line and several very large syringes containing my EC 90 treatment. A cannula is inserted into the back of my hand, the only brief bit of pain I had to endure really. My nurse then pushes a small amount of very expensive Granisetron (anti sickness med) into the line, followed by a steroid. As she does this, she carefully informs me of the minor, but weird side effects of each one. 'The Hedgehog effect' that's a good one. Suffice to say that these involve prickling in the nether regions and fizzing around the nose and head, very strange.

Now she explains that the first three and a bit syringes are the Epirubicin which she will push through the line very, very slowly. I must tell her if I feel any tingling or burning around the entry site as this aggressive cancer treatment eats healthy tissue and turns it necrotic (dead). Okerly dokerly I'm thinking! Also I must drink at least 3 litres of fluid to avoid bladder irritation or worse. Well, the procedure goes without incident and both cancer treatments (Epirubicin and cyclophosphamide) are given over a period of an hour straight from the syringes into the line. A quick flush and the line is removed, we plan my next visit (18th Dec) and I'm instructed on the importance of my medication. I have to have breakfast in bed, take my pills and wait at least half an hour to avoid a day of nausea and general unpleasantness. Home to rest and inform everyone that I'm ok, I've survived.

By evening I have a severe headache, this is apparently called the 'Hangover Effect', not that I can remember that far back - ha! Anyway it keeps me awake most of the night and when I do wake from a slumber, I'm in a cold sweat and feeling sickly. The headache persists into the morning, but I actually get up feeling pretty good.