Saturday 29 November 2008

Family & Friends - My thanks


I think this is a good point to introduce my family and friends , a wonderful bunch of people with big hearts, not to mention big feet (only joking).

Graham Hodge - my hubby of 33yrs, my god I am so lucky to have him. We met at a little Folk Club in Bubwith, or at least I first saw him there, his hair was long and in natural ringlets and when he sat on stage playing 'And I Love You So' I knew I was smitten, such a voice, such a style and such a presence. Thanks God, he noticed me too, I think I was reasonable looking, very long hair, short skirt, you get the picture. Well, he made enquiries and then plucked up courage to ask me out. We agreed he could take me home the following week. Good plan, with one flaw, I had forgotten that I was doing the Lyke Wake Walk (18hr endurance over the North Yorks Moors).

Anyway the following week, determined not to miss my date, I went to the Folk Club and at the end we held hands and got into the car. I don't really remember much more, but Graham tells me I was snoring before we'd got more than a mile down the road and he thought he must be really boring. Actually I'd been walking all night and had no sleep. However, he was not put off and we arranged a re-run the following week. The rest as they say is history and plenty of it for us.

Since then we've had three children, lived in Swaziland for three years (where Louis was born), moved houses more times than I can remember and had a wonderful loving relationship. Graham is now a self employed musician and has played for several years at the 'Blue Bicycle Rest'. every Saturday and the 'Ate O'clock' most Fridays. He is an extremely talented guitar player and singer, with a mellow voice and an extensive repertoire.

Since my diagnosis he has been a rock and there is nothing he wouldn't do, I love you lots.

Ruth - our daughter, well what can I say, she's the eldest of our three, married to Gordon and living in Ilkley. Ruth is beautiful on many levels as well as being extremely driven in all she pursues - jobs, languages, travel and writing which is a passion she excels at. She is also a pretty wonderful daughter and together with Gordon has been a constant source of interesting DVDs, advice and support. I love Ruth because she is different to your average 30yr old and we feel like close friends as well as mum and daughter. Thanks Ruth for 'red knees' keeping me young and making life interesting. Thanks Gordon for looking after Ruth, being my researcher and great guy!

Joseph - Our eldest boy, a dead ringer for his Dad and with similar loving and deep characteristics. Joseph has many attributes, not least his giving nature, honesty and an unbelievable ability to build, connect, mend and fiddle with computers. Joseph is very deep and has much more to give than he knows yet. Thanks Joe for all the love that I know is in there and comes through in your hugs. I remember just sitting in hospital holding your hand and wishing I could say how much I love you, but of course I don't really need to tell you that. When you find your soul mate, she will be very lucky indeed. Start to believe in yourself and take some risks, everything else will fall into place and remember I/we will always be there for you.

Louis - Our youngest boy, who couldn't be more different to Joe and Ruth. Born in Swaziland (that's another story), we nearly lost you when you were a few weeks old, but you're a fighter and despite some very difficult times in your life, you have survived and turned into a beautiful boy. You remind me of me, both in looks and emotions at times. You're very sensitive like Joe and Ruth, but your sensitivity is always close to the surface and you're not afraid to show it, which takes people by surprise sometimes as you're tall with a goatee beard and very long hair. Your a grafter, loyal and loving. I love you very much and I see you growing through and growing up because of life's challenges. Coleen, your now intended wife is also beautiful and I think she's sees your beauty too, both inwardly ad outwardly.

Well I hope that sums up my immediate family, although I could write pages about all of them.