Thursday 2 July 2009

Thur 2nd July 2009 - Homecare No1. The Verdict!

Had my first Herceptin at home today, which went well, considering I was ready to kick it in to touch yesterday. The trouble is I still feel it's very disruptive and I sort of resent the fact that I can't put treatment behind me, so the fact that no one had contacted me at 5 o'clock yesterday, despite two phone calls this week, left me feeling very annoyed and ready to tell them not to bother!!!

I did finally get a call last night to confirm, but by then I'd lost confidence in the service and began to wonder if it was like many of the other home care businesses - useless. So I didn't sleep and was very anxious and close to tears this morning. However, when the nurse turned up my anxieties were quickly dispelled, she was very professional, friendly and a marvellous aim with the cannula!

We did note that my BP is very low 90/60 which is bordering on hypotensive. My BP has always been just right around 120/80, but went low following my first surgery and doesn't seem to have picked up since then. It isn't a problem at the moment, providing I don't stand up too quickly, but I think it needs monitoring in relation to the Herceptin and it's possible side effects on the heart.

The treatment took 90 minutes and the whole visit approx two hours. It did appear that I should have had some other documentation however and she hadn't been told this was my first home treatment, so some of my worries weren't unfounded. Everything went fine and I haven't suffered any side effects.