Thursday 9 July 2009

Thurs 9th July 2009

This is my third week back at work and I feel it hasn't been too difficult. I decided right from the start to log on early, do a couple of hours, have a break, do a bit more etc. There has been the odd day when I've failed to do much at all, especially Mon, Tues this week, mostly due to the fact that I've had a mind numbing fatigue and stomach problems. I'm wondering if this is due to the Herceptin, so I'll have to keep a note.

Sleep is very poor at the moment too as the muscles in my side and back are really tight and at times painful. I still can't sleep on my left for more than five minutes and in any other position my shoulder and arms go dead. I still think I'm getting enough sleep in relation to the exercise I'm doing during the day.

Appetite fluctuates from day to day, but is definitely not the same as it used to be, maybe that's a good thing! Looking back at the amount I ate towards the end of my chemotherapy, it's a wonder I didn't put weight on.

Well, tomorrow is the day I get my office/keys/equipment back and Margaret is coming up from Guildford to go through a few bits. I am sort of excited about getting the reins back, but I'm also terrified that I won't cope if work builds up too quickly. It's hard trying to go back to normal when you feel anything but normal. I'm still really conscious of my changed body and worry that it shows or that people notice how strange my back feels when they greet me. Sounds silly, but it's very real for me and a constant reminder. I'm hoping I will get some feeling and flexibility back in those muscles as they're very hard and numb still - early days I suppose.