Friday 24 July 2009

Fri 24th July 2009 'Herceptin No2'

(X marks the spot, or should I say one of five)
Just returned from a day at Brinsworth, well, half a day as I ran out of steam just after lunch which is probably due to the Herceptin treatment yesterday. Not an experience I'm keen to repeat, in fact if it had been my first 'Homecare Herceptin' treatment, I doubt if I would have continued.

All the anxieties and reservations I had about 'Homecare' became reality yesterday. The male nurse turned up as planned and I have to say was very pleasant and chatty. It was apparrant to me from the outset though that he was quite young and lacked the years of experience my previous nurse had under her belt. However, I initially didn't let this worry me unduly as we all have to start somewhere.

Unfortunately his first attempt I knew would fail as the vein he chose is one of the smallest and the pain was excruciating, which is a sure sign the cannula is not in the vein. That one removed, he then tried another three in the back of my hand, all of which were just as painful and despite a small 'flashback' (small amount of blood) in the chamber, once the cap was removed to attach the IV fluid, nothing came out. From past experience, I know that if this happens you're not in the vein. So attempt number four was on the underside of my arm and again this was unsuccessful. At this point he was talking about calling for backup. I tried not to make him feel uncomfortable and assured him it was my crappy veins (which does have something to do with it), but I was beginning to feel tattered and stressed.

I suggested that soaking my arm in hot water again might just encourage a useable vein. Fortunately I was right and on the fifth attempt the cannula went in and was patent. So one hour later we finally started the saline flush, followed by the Herceptin.

For the rest of the day I was pretty wiped out, I think I'd used up so much adrenalin. Today, my arm has been aching and the scar line feels uncomfortable, which I'm sure is also due to the Herceptin. I have gritty eyes and feel as though I'm suffering from a hangover, so thank goodness it's the weekend.