Monday 8 June 2009

Mon. 8th June 2009 'Back in Circulation'

Picture: Lunch at Flodigarry Hotel, Skye.
Phew! What a week. We returned from The Isle of Skye on Saturday after a fantastic week of none stop sunshine and lots of fun. It has been a real tonic and my only regret was not being able to join Joseph and Louis on a couple of great walks across the Quirang and to the Old Man of Storr, but next time! Me and Graham did the tourist bit and because of the sunshine we were able to take Daisy dog with us on most trips.

The holiday was tinged with some sadness though as we lost our 21yr old cat 'Kitty' the day before we set off and it still seems really strange not seeing her wobble through the room. Thank you to everyone who sent kind words regarding this.

In terms of my progress, which has always been the main purpose of this blog, I am improving. Well, I am improving physically in as much as I don't have the acute pain I was experiencing before the holiday. I'm still very restricted though as the muscle down my left back or flank is rigid, which means I can't get my arm above shoulder height yet and certain movements, like trying to get my arm into or out of a sleeve send it into spasm which can be really uncomfortable.
The scar lines have healed beautifully and there is just a small amount of swelling to go now.

I have a further Hercetin this week (11th June) at the hospital. Providing this goes well, the rest will be carried out at home every three weeks for a year. Also I will probably plan a very gradual return to work which at the moment fills me with dread. I think it's more psychological than anything else. It's not like having any other illness where you get better go back to work and that's an end to it. Because my body image has changed and I'm still having treatment, it's difficult to feel as though anything will ever be normal again. A large part of my job is supporting people and right now I'm struggling to support myself at times.

I do intend to continue my blog for the foreseeable future as I think recording my gradual rehabilitation will be useful info in my profession when supporting employees in a similar situation - at least that's the plan.