Friday 19 February 2010

Thurs. 18th Feb. 2009 'Herceptin No.14'

Busy day today - had a routine Oncology appt. at York District this morning. After the last one I wasn't expecting much, and I wasn't disappointed. It was the same Oncologist as I saw in October, but he did have a nurse observing, which in my experience always makes them raise their game a little. He was quite obviously aware that I'd chosen to see my own Oncologist privately and dismissed my recent tests with a smugness.

Once again he suggested that I could stop the Herceptin treatment and I think I caught him off guard when I asked how this would affect my prognosis, as my understanding is that the full 18 infusions should be completed. He said there is research available to suggest that only 9 treatments could be beneficial? Could be, might be.... well, the problem is Herceptin is still in it's infancy and not much is really known regarding it's effectiveness, or it's side effects yet.

He asked me if I had any other problems - ha, that's a laugh. I said "yes, numerous, but nothing I feel I can discuss here as these appointments are obviously time limited". So basically a waste of a morning, his only concession being that he'll see me again in four months.

On the way home I decided I might just finish the Herceptin, but I think that was because I was cross and just wanted to finish treatment and get on with life. However, I discussed it with the nurse who came to do my Herceptin, and she confirmed what I was already thinking and advised me to finish the course.

It took four attempts to find a decent vein today, but it still wasn't as traumatic as my CT experience. Speaking of which, I mailed a letter to the Patient Liaison Services yesterday and received an acknowledgement within two hours, so it does work.