Thursday 26 November 2009

Thurs. 26th Nov. 2009 'Herceptin No.10' and CBT


My first CBT session this morning. I have laid in bed a few times this week thinking 'what do I want to get out of this therapy' and guess what his first question was? Actually we laughed about that and I found it fairly easy to talk about all the problems, both physically and mentally, which I feel are holding me back.

It was an interesting hour which highlighted my thoughts, feelings, physical problems and behaviours. Once they were all down on paper we talked through some of them in more depth and how they're all linked, one thing affects the other - if that makes sense. As for what I want from the sessions, well, I want my life back, I want to feel confident and be able to plan ahead without feeling that something will happen to spoil everything.

My Herceptin treatment was much later today - 4.30p.m. It went very smoothly, but the dose had not been altered, so the nurse had to ring the Oncology unit at York for advice. It meant reducing the volume this time by drawing off 13mls from the bag. It has been altered at the Hospital, but has obviously not filtered through to Pharmacy.

Pat and Michael came to keep me company, so the time went much more quickly than usual. Oddly I noticed about an hour after it had finished that my throat hurt when I swallowed and that's got progressively worse, so I don't know if it's the treatment or some kind of 'lurgy' coming on. Oh well, an early night and hopefully a quiet day tomorrow will sort things out.