Friday 20 November 2009

Frid. 20th Nov. 2009 '...and Finally'

Final appointment of the week was last night. Saw my Oncologist privately at the Nuffield (very posh). It was so different to the appointment I had on the 8th October, very relaxed almost friendly, and with no time limit, so I was able to express some concerns and ask for more detail. I also made it clear that I was a nurse professional and in this instance I felt it had the desired effect.

We discussed my diagnosis, the good, the bad and the ugly - we also discussed the reasons for having Herceptin. Apparently, although I was 'node negative', I had other indicators, such as being HER2 positive, which put me at 'the bad end of a good prognosis' - (makes sense to me).

We went on to discuss the problems I'm having with my bowels. Like me, he's not convinced that these are related to the Herceptin because they're too acute, so I have agreed to a referral with the gastroenterologist. I'm about half way through the Herceptin treatment and he feels it's worth carrying on because of the added protection it will give me, providing it's not responsible for my other problem, so I'll just have to see.