Friday 16 October 2009

Thur. 15th Oct. 2009 'Herceptin No8'

Joan & Gerry - Back in Yorkshire!
Goodness it comes around so quickly. I felt absolutely 'wrung out' this morning following a five hour journey back from Letchworth, most of it sitting on the M1 in an endless queue. The meeting went well and it was great to catch up with the rest of the team, all of whom I regard as good friends as well as colleagues. Unfortunately my left side and under arm along the scar and 'tunneling' was really uncomfortable, largely due I would say to heaving heavy bags around, plus driving, which makes me very tense. We normally stay up for a few drinks and a laugh, but I was too tired once we'd eaten.

My best friend Joan visited this morning, it's so good to have her and Gerry back in Yorkshire and we're planning lots of catch up time, with lots of shopping of course!

It was a different nurse today Jo - and she was lovely, really chatty and very confident. She took a long time carefully feeling for a suitable vein and with a little patience was able to site the cannula first time. We talked about my oncology review last week and I mentioned my weight loss. According to the sheets in my Herceptin file, I was 72kg when they calculated the dose. Well I happen to know that's not correct, I was at least 75kg and I also know for sure that I've lost over a stone since I stopped chemotherapy. So I weighed myself - 69.4kg.

Jo said she would speak to her Manager as any significant weight loss means they may have to re-calculate the Herceptin. So hey, how come the oncologist didn't pick this up? I'm still really cross about his dismissive attitude and less than happy with the number of times I've had to chase or remind them about appointments etc. It only adds to my feelings of uncertainty and 'loneliness', well that's the only word I can think to describe how I feel at times, but it's no reflection on Graham, family and friends, it's a much more complex loneliness that exists deep inside and makes my brain feel like scrambled egg at times, especially at night.