Thursday 22 April 2010

Thurs. 22nd Mar. 2010 'Herceptin - the end'


Finally, the last Herceptin today - hurrah! Unfortunately I didn't feel on top form this morning. I woke up with a headache and as the morning went on felt distinctly grotty. I did say to Graham last night that I felt strange. I was trying to make a chocolate cake last night and couldn't seem to get my act together at all. That feeling continued this morning and the cake nearly ended up being thrown at the window, instead of being filled with jam and cream.

On the bright side, it's a beautiful day. Patty & Mike came bearing gifts and at the same time a fabulous bunch of flowers & some chocolates arrived from Roo. I've also had two or three texts from family and friends wishing me well for this 'milestone'. My Son Joseph came over too, so it felt like a real party when Andrew (my nurse) arrived. I managed to make some lunch for us all as a bit of a celebration, finished off with the cake & cream.

I told Andrew that I was feeling a little unwell and for one awful moment I thought he was going to say we couldn't do the treatment. Fortunately my temperature was normal, so away we went - cannulation was successful first time too.

So that's it, all done, hard to believe it's been nearly a year since I started the Herceptin and it will be a year on Monday since I had my mastectomy & reconstruction. All we can do now is keep fingers crossed and hope for the best. 'Cookie Monster' pictured here, will also be one year old next week - Louis & Colleen brought him to the hospital - I wonder if that's a record for a gas filled balloon?